Supporting a Child with the Mudeka Foundation
We are grateful that you are considering supporting a child’s education through the Mudeka Foundation. You are about to make a huge difference to a child’s life.
At the core of the Mudeka Foundation is our scholarships programme, previously known as ZIPS. We facilitate private scholarships from supporters who fund the education of a pupil in Zimbabwe at one of the schools we work with. We know the pupils we support well, our team in Zimbabwe visit them regularly, and meet with their guardians or parents to ensure that they have everything they need for schooling. We are really proud of our scholarships programme, and would love to tell you more if you are interested!
Scholarships start from just £60 a year. For the cost of less than two coffees a month you could change a child’s life by supporting them through school.
How to fund a Scholarship
- Complete the ‘Support an education’ form using the button above.
- Our Scholarships Coordinator, Holly, will send you a profile of a child requiring support that best matches your preferences and answer any questions you may have.
- Once you are happy to go ahead with the scholarship, you will be provided with the Foundation’s bank details to arrange your standing order. You may choose to pay monthly or annually.
What You Can Expect
– All communication from the Foundation via your preferred method of contact (post, phone or email).
– A guarantee that your payment will be sent to the pupil’s school in Zimbabwe for their school fees.
– The option to receive updates from the Foundation on the child you support may include photos, videos, exam results, letters and updates on their wellbeing. You may also send letters, photos or videos to the child you support through the Foundation.
– The opportunity to receive a newsletter from the Foundation providing updates on the charity.
– Timely responses to all emails sent to the Scholarships Coordinator.
Our Student Selection Process
We work directly with seven schools in Zimbabwe, building up a relationship with the teachers and leadership teams. They identify disadvantaged children who may be in need of help with school fees.
Once we have confirmed the need for our help, our coordinator on the ground visits the child’s home to get to know the child and the guardians and to allow the family to get to know the Foundation. The Foundation will, whenever possible, support a child’s education from current funds whilst searching for a private scholarship.
School fees differ, and in 2020/2021 the school terms have been disrupted due to lockdown in Zimbabwe. The current term’s fees are outlined below. Fluctuating exchange rates and recent pay rises for the teachers mean that these rates are susceptible to change. In that situation, our Scholarships Coordinator or Treasurer, Joe, will be in contact with you to see if you are willing to update your payments.
Occasionally, costs such as school uniforms, exam fees and textbooks arise for a child. Without these basic items, they cannot attend school or take their exams. In these circumstances, we may approach you as their supporter outlining the costs, asking if you would be interested in assisting in covering them. If you decide not to, then the Foundation will cover the costs.